Las Vegas DUI Defense Lawyer
Should I get a lawyer for my DUI?
A DUI in Nevada can have a serious impact on your life, your driving privileges, and possibly the lives of others. A first DUI offense is punished less harshly than subsequent offenses, and DUI charges that resulted in the injury or death of another person have the most substantial penalties. Regardless of the severity of the offense, a driving under the influence (DUI) conviction can have lasting consequences on your life and happens when you make the choice to drive while impaired by alcohol or drugs. If you have been charged with a DUI, you should seek the assistance of an experienced, reliable, and honest defense attorney that will guide you to achieve the most positive outcome possible. Hiring The Defenders to handle your DUI case, whether that be your first offense or not, can lead to a possible minimization of your charges, as well as diminish the damaging effects a DUI charge can possess over your life. Many people automatically assume that because they were arrested for a DUI, that law enforcement already has enough evidence for the defendant to be found guilty of driving under the influence. We, The Defenders, have deep experience in handling alcohol and drug related cases. By utilizing our services, your charges or sentencing have the possibility of being reduced or dismissed. The Defenders have extensive experience defending DUI cases and have a variety of strategies that have been proven in court to reduce or eliminate DUI charges. Some of these strategies include:
- Investigation of the breathalyzer used during the arrest to determine whether it was functioning properly and has received consistent and proper maintenance
- Analysis of the circumstances surrounding the arrest
- Analysis of the blood test results and reanalyzing the samples to confirm the results are consistent
- Ensuring that proper protocol was completed by the arresting officer and medical staff handling your case
What is considered driving under the influence?
In Nevada, drivers are evaluated on their blood alcohol concentration (BAC), which is the measure of alcohol within someone’s blood. This level must be above the legal limit to count as driving under the influence. The legal limits for Nevada drivers are:
- .02% for drivers under 21 years old
- .04% for commercial licensed drivers
- .08% for everyone else
Driving under the influence does not only mean you are impaired by alcohol, but can also mean you are impaired by drugs. When it comes to testing your BAC, it is only applicable to alcohol. When it comes to drugs, you are considered impaired for a certain amount of an illegal or prescribed substance found in your system while operating a motor vehicle, moped, or boat. Read more about driving under the influence of drugs here.
What penalties do I face with my first DUI?
With the reputation of “Sin City” and constant partying, it is no surprise that Las Vegas sees many people faced with a DUI charge. But driving while impaired by drugs or alcohol can lead to serious consequences. In the State of Nevada, the DUI driver’s first offense will only be labeled a misdemeanor as long as the driver did not cause any deaths or serious injuries. Drivers with a first DUI offense will be penalized in the following ways:
- Possible jail time from 2 days to 6 months or 48-96 hours of community service
- Drivers license revocation for 90 days. A restricted license may be granted after 45 days if the DMV approves it
- Installation of a breath ignition interlock device for three years, if BAC exceeded 0.18 at time of the arrest. Payment for this device includes installation and monthly monitoring, all fees are paid by the defendant
- Attendance at a Nevada DUI school, paid by the defendant
- Possible order to attend a treatment program regarding substance abuse
- Mandatory fines ranging from $400-$1,000
Frequently Asked Questions
We are The Defenders
Facing a DUI charge can be a terrifying and overwhelming experience, but you don’t have to face it alone. The Defenders can provide you peace of mind while making sure the proper steps are taken to have your charges dismissed or reduced.
It is important that you contact The Defenders immediately so we can start creating an aggressive defense for your case. The Defenders deliver an honest and straightforward response to your charges while providing you personable and communicative involvement throughout the duration of your case. We’re aggressive when we need to be, compassionate when it counts, and always dedicated to your success. That’s what makes us, The Defenders, a proud branch of the Richard Harris Law Firm. We have the experience and knowledge you need to make sure you get the best judgment for your case. We are available day and night to start the process. Simply fill out our Contact Us form or call us at 702.333.3333. You don’t have to go through this alone, call us today! The firm is led by attorney K. Ryan Helmick of The Defenders, who is experienced in dozens of criminal law matters. Ryan and his team have helped thousands of people with their cases. It is his passion. Read more about him here.