Las Vegas Drug Trafficking Lawyer
In Nevada, drug trafficking is defined as the delivery, sale, manufacturing or importation of illegal drugs across state and national borders. Unlike other drug charges, drug trafficking can lead to charges at both a state and federal level. The most common substances that are trafficked include street drugs, prescription pills, illegal drugs, or homemade substances, including heroin, morphine, Hydrocodone, Vicodin, opium, OxyContin, methamphetamines, cocaine, crack, ecstasy, LSD, and GHB.
Having a drug trafficking charge is a very serious offense. The harsh penalties vary on the type of drug the alleged offender is found trafficking. A schedule I or II controlled substance will be considered trafficking if the individual knowingly or intentionally sold, manufactured, delivered or brought any type of scheduled I or II controlled substance into Nevada. As of now, there is no provision under the Nevada law for trafficking scheduled III, IV or V substances.
Penalties for a Las Vegas drug trafficking charge:
- Schedule I substance weighing at least four to 14 grams can result in a category B felony, punishable by one to six years in prison and/or a fine up to $50,000. If a schedule I substance is found at more than 14 grams, but less than 38 grams, a conviction can be made as a category B felony, punishable by two to 15 years in prison and/or a fine up to $100,000. If a schedule I substance is found weighing more than 28 grams, there can be a conviction of a category A felony, punishable by 25 years to life in prison and/or a fine up to $500,000.
- Schedule II substance weighing between 28 and 200 grams can result in a category C felony, punishable by one to five years in prison and/or a fine up to $50,000. If a schedule II substance is found weighing between 200 and 400 grams, a conviction can be made as a category B felony, punishable by two to 10 years in prison and/or a fine up to $100,000. If a schedule II substance is found weighing more than 400 grams, this can result in a category A felony, punishable by 15 years to life in prison and/or a fine up to $250,000.
It is a federal offense to manufacture, import, distribute or traffic controlled substances with the intent to sell either across state borders, throughout the state or from a foreign country into Nevada.
The federal Controlled Substances Act classifies these substances as follows:
- Schedule I – controlled substances that have a high potential for abuse and have no known or accepted medical purposes.
- Schedule II – contains substances that have a high potential for abuse, but have commonly used or accepted medical applications, with certain restrictions.
- Schedule III – substances that are commonly used for medical purposes in the United States.
- Schedule IV – controlled substances with a lower potential for abuse and are commonly used for medical purposes.
- Schedule V – substances have the least potential for abuse and are commonly used for medical uses in the United States.
Drug trafficking penalties will vary depending on which schedule the controlled substance falls into, as well as the amount of substance found, the alleged offender’s previous drug convictions and if there were any injuries or deaths related to the offense.
Las Vegas Drug Trafficking Criminal Defense Attorney – The Defenders
It is important you contact the criminal defense lawyers at The Defenders immediately so we can start creating an aggressive defense for your case. The Defenders delivers an honest and straightforward response to your charges while providing you personable and communicative involvement throughout the duration of your case. We’re aggressive when we need to be, compassionate when it counts, and always dedicated to your success. That’s what makes us The Defenders, a proud branch of the Richard Harris Law Firm.
We have the experience and knowledge you need to make sure you get the best judgment for your case. We are available day and night to start the process. Simply fill out our Contact Us form or call us at 702.333.3333. You don’t have to go through this alone. Call us today!
The firm is led by attorney Richard Harris of The Defenders, who is experienced in dozens of criminal law matters. He and his team have helped thousands of people with their cases. It is his passion.